Off to the Virgin Islands: Popup Exhibits + Digital Storytelling
This week I’m taking Storykiosk’s mission further than before: over the deep blue ocean to to St. Croix, Virgin Islands, to gather stories at the weeklong “Coming Home to St. Croix” festival. Organized by St. Croix Landmarks Society, the festival is an eight day celebration of culture, history, and family in St. Croix.
What better place to experiment with new trends in exhibits?…especially using popup exhibits with digital storytelling to build community connections through stories. Some of the questions I’ll explore this week:
- What are some “essentials” of a tabletop popup exhibit for cultural heritage festivals?
- What factors improve the likelihood of gathering great stories from visitors?
- What is the most streamlined method for sharing stories via social media?
- How can we use stories to serve both the museum and tourism industries?
- What new synergies emerge by shifting the focus from “exhibits” to “events”?
Feel free to offer other questions. I’ll try to post every evening this week on the topic (unless I’m out for a run on the beach or at sunset jazz). And I’ll likely include some of the topics in my presentation at SEGD’s Exhibition and Experience Design Workshop later in August in Washington DC…